Sunday, July 12, 2009

Romance Book Review: Dream Man



Author: Linda Howard
ISBN: 978-0671019754
Genre: Romantic Suspense/Mystery

YYYYY

As part of an experiment this weekend I decided to find a good romance book that I could purchase over the internet in audio version. The idea was to try and kill two birds with one stone, as the saying goes. Since I waste hours on the internet playing games on Facebook and My Space, I thought instead of listening to music like I usually do why not listen to an audio book. After a quick search I found one of my favorite authors, Linda Howard, and decided on a book I hadn't read yet. Dream Man was the one.

For six years Marlie Keen has not had any psychic episode. She has been able to have a relatively normal life, until one night on her way back from a late movie she has a vision from a killer's eyes of him raping and killing a woman. When she goes to the police, of course, they are skeptical. She didn't expect anything less. After all when she was younger she had worked with skeptical police before.

Detective Dane Hollister at first thinks Marlie is a quack after media attention, but after he gets to know the young woman he realizes that she isn't what he thought she was. Now he needs Marlie's help to find a serial killer before he strikes again.

Linda Howard is great at piecing together a good mystery. She leads her readers on a path to finding the answers to her mystery right to the end filling scenes with suspense and erotic love making. She was also one of the original erotic writers in the suspense genre. Dream Man is an action packed suspense novel that isn't perhaps as gory in the crime scenes as other books that Linda has put out, but it doesn't take anything away from the story.

One note on the audio version. I'm sorry but listening to this book on audio really takes away from the suspense style in the book. I'd have to give it very low ratings. The male voice trying to imitate the female lead was at time just so bad I was laughing out loud. She sounded so pitiful when he tried to voice her emotions that she came off sounding like a real wimp, even when the character was supposed to be mad or being stubborn. It might have been better to have a female read this particular book.

As far as listening to the audio book while I was playing my Facebook game and such, that part really worked a little too well. I wanted to keep listening to the story, but I didn't have anything else to do on the games. So I wound up putting a picture slide show and watching the pictures pass while I was tethered to my laptop.

Description:
Marlie Keen was trying to lead a quiet, ordinary life. She thought the knowing - the clairvoyance that allowed her to witness crimes as they happened - had been destroyed in the nightmare of her past. Then one night it returned with a vengeance, and she desperately needed to find someone to make it stop.

Detective Dane Hollister of the Orlando police department had never met anyone like Marlie. He had doubts about her clairvoyance, but there was no doubt how much he desired her. Her soft, sweet scent set his blood afire, and he wanted to wrap her in his arms and chase the sadness from her eyes. To Marlie, Dane was all heat and hard muscle, and he made her body come alive as it never had before. But not even she could foresee where their passion would lead: a hungry quest for the elusive, dreamy ecstasies of love...and a dangerous journey into the twisted mind of a madman who would threaten their happiness and their lives....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Comments Here: