Friday, July 15, 2011

Interview with author Melodie Campbell


Author of Rowena Through The Wall 
Website Address: http://www.melodiecampbell.com/


Interview:
RBS: Tell us a little about yourself.

Melodie: I hate goat cheese and housework. But you might be more interested in my writing background.

I’ve been a bank manager, marketing director, college instructor, comedy writer, and possibly the worst runway model ever.  I made a really, really bad decision several years ago, possibly the worst decision ever made by a human not officially insane.  A producer from fledgling HBO saw my play Burglar for Coffee, labeled it “completely nuts,” and offered me a spot writing pilots, which I stupidly turned down.  I mean, leave this fabulous land of the ice and snow for California?  Did I mention I was not officially insane?

RBS: How old were you when you first decided to sit down and write your first book?

Melodie: Sixteen.  I wrote a children’s book called Horatio Hedgehog, which won a prize and was displayed at the local library.

RBS: What was your first novel ever published, be it e-book or print?

Melodie: I have had over 30 short stories published in commercial magazines, and over 100 humor columns published in North American newspapers and magazines, but Rowena Through the Wall is the first novel I have finished, let alone gotten published.

RBS: It can be difficult to get a book published. Who or what was the greatest encouragement you had during the non-published times?

Melodie: I kept getting shorter fiction published and winning awards.  And people told me my writing cracked them up.  That told me I really should be looking to write a novel.

RBS: What is your favorite genre to write? Why?

Melodie: Alternate world fantasy/romance with a lot of humor.  I also like to write hot – really, I want to write adventure novels for women…something to provide escape into another world, just for a little while.

RBS: Tell us about your current release?

Melodie: Rowena Through the Wall is an alternate world fantasy/romance, with lots of swordplay, magic and – well – sex!  Rowena is thrown into a primitive world, and uses her modern wiles to survive.  Midwest Book Review described it as hot and hilarious – I hope your readers find it so, because that would make me very happy.

RBS: Who or what were your influences when you begin to write your newest release?

Melodie: One day I was sitting at work, feeling totally overwhelmed with my job, parental care giving and family responsibilities, and thought – if I could walk through that wall over there into another world, I would.  Rowena got her start that night.  The setting was a given; my late cousin Tony Glegg-Hill was a Viscount, so I wrote from my family knowledge of this region of Britain.

RBS: What does a typical writing day look like for you?

Melodie: I’m the General Manager for Crime Writers of Canada, the national professional association for mystery and crime writers, so my writing day extends well into night!  My family calls it ‘the black hole of writing’.

RBS: Do you have a favorite hero from one of your books? What is it about him that makes him stand out?

Melodie: Actually, I like my villain, Cedric.  He is the epitome of a clever, sexy bastard, who wants Rowena for himself and will stop at nothing to get her.  He’s a warrior, yet a powerful master of magic – and frankly, who wouldn’t want to be desired to that extent?

RBS: Do you have a favorite heroine from one of your books? What is it about her that makes her stand out?

Melodie: Rowena is the girl I wish I were (yup, in looks, but also in gutsy, uninhibited fashion too).  She isn’t afraid to take risks, or to make a fool of herself, but is kind to people and animals.  My kind of girl.

RBS: Who is your favorite author? Did they give you any kind of inspiration in your own writing?

Melodie: List of favorites here:  Mary Stewart, Janet Evanovich, Charlaine Harris. 
Mary Stewart – for writing My Brother Michael, the book I measure all others to.
Janet Evanovich – for her zany humor; she has led the way for other wacky writers like me.
Charlaine Harris – Her Dead Until Dark series is wonderfully funny, imaginative and daring.  I’d love to meet her some day.

RBS: What's coming up on your book schedule in the next year?

Melodie: The sequel to Rowena!  Rowena and the Dark Lord is taking shape and readers can expect the danger and magic to ramp up.  Also, The Goddaughter, a comic mob caper is in the works.

Yesterday Melodie's cracked the Amazon Top 100 for Time Travel Romance!


Rowena Through The Door
Author: Melodie Campbell
ISBN 10: 1926997131
ISBN 13: 978-1926997131
Genre: Sci-Fi/ Romance/ Alternate World
Publisher: Imajin Books

Purchase this book here through Amazon

Description:

When Rowena falls through her classroom wall and lands in an alternate world, she doesn’t count on being kidnapped--not once, but twice--and the stakes get higher as the men get hotter.

College instructor Rowena Revel has a magical gift with animals and a huge problem. Gorgeous tunic-clad men keep walking through the wall of her classroom. If that isn't enough, she's being haunted by sexy dreams in a rugged land. Curious, she checks out the wall and falls through a portal into the world of her dreams.



Unwanted husbands keep piling up, but that doesn't stop her from falling for the wrong brother. Not only that, she has eighteen year old Kendra to look out for and a war to prevent. Good thing she has the ability to go back through the wall. Or does she?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Comments Here: