Friday, July 27, 2012

Days 3 and 4 of the Romance Writers of America National Conference

Missed posting yesterday after attending a couple of get together's yesterday. First off let me just say that for romance fans this is one great place to get to put a face and personality to all the authors we love to read. Between workshops, book signings, parties and just meeting people in the hallways there is always a chance to meet someone who you've read a book from or at the very list seen their name on the cover of a book somewhere.

There are also quite a few people that have been published, but I've never heard of. The workshops I've attended over the past couple of days have included authors like Sylvia Day, Jayne Ann Krentz, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Allison Brennen, Alexandra Ivy, Susanne Brockman, Lauren Dane, and more. I attended a Chat with Nora Roberts and a book signing event with Saimhian Publishing. 

I've learned a lot secrets to the craft and listened to a lot of industry gossip from upcoming books to how publishers are picking the next upcoming story lines. 

I've also so far collected hundreds of book marks and souvenirs, about 50 books and at least that many signatures from my favorite authors. 

That's all for the fan in me. 

For the aspiring romance novelist in me I'm hoping that I walk away with some added skills and confidence that I can finally complete my novel and get it too a publisher. Unfortunately I think I'm more nervous then ever, especially in light of all the talent surrounding me. I'm going to seriously have to find my muse when I get home from this trip.

By far the most fun workshops to date was Allison Brennen, who made me think that maybe romantic suspense is the genre for me. I also really enjoyed Jayne Ann Krentz and Elizabeth Phillips, who together spoke on their publishing experiences.

Allison Brennan 
Nora Roberts

Jayne Ann Krentz

Jayne Ann Krentz and Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Robyn Carr

Lori Wilde

Christina Dodd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Comments Here: