Friday, March 12, 2010

Romance Book Review: Wulf's Den-Beowulf and Roxie

Author: Marisa Chenery
Series Connection: Wulf Den
ISBN: 978-1-59578-422-3
Genre: Werewolf/ Shapeshift/ Urban Legend/ Paranormal
Publisher: Liquid Silver Books

YYYYY

I'm on one of my series reading binges again. While reading Marisa Chenery's Jinx and Her Werewolf I started checking out Marisa's website (http://www.marisachenery.com) and found a series that looked interesting. The Wulf Den series features five books, plus one the author started as a spin off series.

After seeing Marisa's website I realized I actually purchased a couple of the books from the series a while back, but never got a chance to read the book. (Yes I do that a lot more than I should. I have a box and a computer full of books I haven't had a chance to read.) What originally sparked my interest in Beowulf and Roxie, the first book in the series, was the title and that the story held the theme of the 1,400 year old story of Beowulf and Grendel. Most will remember the story from high school readings. At the time I purchased Beowulf and Roxie my son was doing a report on the original story of Beowulf poem.

In this version of the ancient story, Marisa has created two long, and I mean long, time rivals. Beowulf and Gren. Both characters are immortal and have lived through the centuries evenly matched and hating each other. As in the original poem, Grendel hates Beowulf because Beowulf killed Grendel's mother. Aside from reveling that Beowulf and Grendel are one and the same from the original characters in the favorite poem, there really is no other similarities.

This Beowulf and Gren are werewolves. Beowulf owns a night club in San Francisco called Wulf Den. One night Beowulf's mortal mate steps into his club. Roxie is everything he wants in a mate and falls instantly in love with her. Gren sees this as a chance to get even with Beowulf and decides to go after Roxie. But Roxie has a few surprises of her own.

So far the first book has sparked my interest in this series. I liked both Roxie and Beowulf's characters. Roxie certainly shows she can be a kick butt, take no prisoners kind of girl.

The next book in the series is: Taryn's Wolf. I'll be getting to it shortly, but as usual there are other books I'm plugging my way through first.

Description:
When Roxie and her friend, Candice, decided on a girls' night out she didn't realize the Wulf's Den would be more than she had anticipated. But Roxie soon learned to expect anything. The presence of a super-abundance of super good looking men surprised her and when the best of the bunch stared at her as if he wanted to devour her, surprise turned to amazement.

Beouwlf recognized her as his mate the instant she crossed his path and her scent filled his lungs. But he had to overcome one hurdle. She was not one of his kind--a werewolf. He had waited for years to find his mate and he would claim her even if she was a mortal. He would soon teach her all about werewolves.

Roxie is caught up in strange events. Archaic markings appear on her wrist, and strong forces threaten to tear her away from her love as two other male werewolves try to claim her as their own. Would Roxie and Beowulf be able to keep the bond love had forged or would they lose each other forever?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Comments Here: