Friday, July 23, 2010

Romance Book Review: Dangerous

Author: Diana Palmer
Series Connection: Long, Tall Texans
ISBN-10: 0373774591
ISBN-13: 978-0373774593 

Genre: Contemporary Romance/ Series Romance/ Western
Publisher: Harlequin 
 
Click here to Purchase Dangerous

♥ ♥ ♥

I am generally a huge fan of Diana Palmer. I know to some it isn't in vogue saying that. Her books generally seem outdated compared to the vast amount of erotic romance that is filling the bookshelves these days. I, however, like the young virgin heroines and the "long, tall Texans" rancher, cops and ex-mercenaries who fall in love with them. I generally look forward to reading the series additions long before they come out.

I knew Kilraven's story would be out this month and anxiously awaited it. I wasn't even daunted that it was a hardcover because I knew that I would want to read it no matter what. Afterall, it was the next in a series of more than 30 books and I have read every one, plus it's off-shoots.

I was, however, a little disappointed as I read through the book and became completely lost with the plot. As I said I have read all the books and I knew the before story of Kilraven and Winnie. I knew the 911 dispatcher, Winnie,  had a crush on the FBI agent, Kilraven, who was working in Jacobsville with Cash Grier and impersonanting a local policeman. (That appeared to be the worst kept secret in Jacobsville, so I wasn't sure why they were trying to have him undercover there).

I had always thought he worked for the FBI, even in the inside bookflap description they call him an FBI agent, but in the book they make it clear he doesn't work for the FBI, he's called a Fed numerous. There are even more than one reference that he works for the CIA. I couldn't make heads or tails of that.

Then there was the subplot to the story. That was suppose to be finding out who killed Kilraven's baby daughter and other members of his family seven years ago. Trying to figure out the mystery of where the author was going with the story was more of a mystery then the actually mystery in the story. (Does that make sense?)

The story goes like this. Kilraven somehow, (and really here is where I'm confused I have no idea how) finally has a lead in the case of his daughter's death. He needs to enlist the help of Winnie because her family owns a beach house right next door to one of the people he suspects is involved with the little girl's murder and a series of other murders. He suggests that Winnie marry him so that he doesn't ruin hers or his reputation by spending several days at her beachhouse.

The rest of story is learning about Winnie's past, finally hearing the full story about Kilraven's daughter and her murder and pulling the case together.

For a long time I was really confused and at a loss to why Kilraven needed Winnie's help in the first place. I couldn't figure out why he even thought the death of his child had anything to do with a string of other recent murders.  I re-read the paragraphs and susequent books and couldn't find the answer.

I know in the grand scheme of things the story is all about the romance. I also like the way Diana Palmer throws in little tidbits of history and talk about video games and dispatchers. Yeah it is plain Diana Palmer doesn't play the games, but it is fun to read anyway.  It makes the characters more human. Kilraven was a little disjointed in his character. In past books we've gotten to know Kilraven. He's a nice guy with a haunted past. He's kept away from Winnie because he knows she has a crush on him.

Now because she has this connection suddenly he decides he will use her and even possibly hurt her to get the answers he needs, despite all the warnings from people around him. It is just too out of character for him. Also the whole plan to get married for reputation sake is ridiculous. Just get married because you need a good cover story for being at the beach house together. The whole thing could even be staged. They didn't really need to get married at all, especially because he had planned not to even invite anyone.

In the end all the questions are finally answered, yada, yada, yada. (Don't want to spoil the ending!)

I still love Diana Palmer. I'll definitely read the next book in the series because I've been hooked for years. It is hard for me to give her a bad review because I enjoy the storyline and the concept of the series as a whole. I also really like Winnie's character. She stayed true to form from when we met her in the past. She was a little afriad of both her brother, Boone, and Kilraven, but she toughens up like all the young women do in the series.

Those coming new to the series might want to read the previous three or four books to get caught up with this part of the story.

I do have one last question. Why is that Kilraven and Jon Blackhawk, who have the same father, have two different last names? Did I miss something somewhere? It is mentioned in the book, but only that Kilraven doesn't want to talk about it.

Description:
He is every inch the desperado.

Tall, lean and headstrong, FBI agent Kilraven lives by his own rules. And one of those rules includes keeping his hands off Jacobsville’s resident sweetheart, Winnie Sinclair, no matter the temptation. Shy and innocent, Winnie couldn’t handle a man like him—a merciless man with a haunted past. And this small town may hold not only the woman he fights to resist, but the answers to a cold case that is very personal to Kilraven....

Winnie has had her own share of sorrow and senses Kilraven’s pain. Even though she tries to deny it, the gentle 911 operator feels a connection with the darkly handsome agent. When he makes the disturbing discovery that her family’s unsavory past might have a bearing on his case, Winnie is determined to help him crack it...and the ice around his heart.

As they combine forces in a dangerous investigation, the stakes rise ever higher. Winnie’s life is on the line, and she’ll need Kilraven more than ever. But if they are to have a future together, her ruthless Texan will need to confront his past and risk it all for their love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Comments Here: